Here is my finished Blooming Stitch Shawl. This is the one for which I recorded the stitch counts in another post. Now it’s all blocked and ready to go, and I’m so glad because I think it’s really pretty.
There are times when it is painfully obvious I don’t have blocking wires. This is one of those times. However, I’m not sure how I would have used wires with this. It was all curved and then curved some more. So. We have this blocking job, and I declare it adequate.
I used Madelinetosh Prairie in the Well Water shade for this project, and I like Prairie a lot. I’m a huge fan of single-ply yarns, so it’s nice to have a laceweight option. Of course the Madelinetosh colors are wonderful, too. I’ve got some more Prairie stashed for a couple other shawls and a sweater. As soon as my wrists and elbows start feeling normal again, I’ll take those projects on.
Here’s another photo showing the motif of the shawl, as well as the crocheted -bind off:
It was a challenging project just because I am always challenged by projects done in laceweight yarn. The pattern itself wasn’t bad at all. Here are a couple notes:
1. As I mentioned, I was very careful to count my stitches on every row. The only row I didn’t do this for was the row just after you do all the turn one stitch into a squizillion stitches. I don’t like counting rows with tons of yarn-overs, so as I purled back across that row, I counted sections. There are 11 stitches per bloom and 13 in between blooms, so that’s how I made sure all stitches were present and accounted for.
2. I noticed that my most frequent mistakes were: (1) forgetting to work yarn-overs, (2) mistaking k2tog for k3tog, and (3) sk2p for skp.
Another picture showing the shawl from the back:
I’ve seen some people make this in white as a wedding shawl, which is so pretty, but I love the versions in colors also. Very nice pattern.