Nani Iro Tunic Dress

This is the first one I made.

Sometimes, when I’m trying a new pattern just to see what’s up with it, I’ll piece together scraps of fabric rather than using new yardage. That’s what I did here.

Front bottom.
Back, with Catthew. I regret leaving those white panels unembellished.

I used some fine linen, some rougher embroidery linen, quilting cotton, fine Japanese gauze, Japanese double-gauze, a vintage cocktail napkin, pieces of a flour sack dish towel I dyed in tea (ha), and unbleached muslin which is one of my favorite fabrics of all, I think.

Here’s a detail of the little pocket at the top. I lined it in Nani Iro cotton gauze fabric. The edging is a snippet I crocheted in linen thread.

A detail of one of the botanical appliqués I used:

It’s a nigella pod from my garden. I just draw the pictures on muslin with a fine felt-tip pen. They fade eventually and need to be redone, but it only takes a couple minutes to go over the original lines.

A detail of the old napkin. It makes me laugh. It’s the piece with the embroidered heart-like shape on it:

Detail of the the other front panel. I crocheted the tiny flowers to attach here and there, and knitted the small length of lace. Both are done in linen. The appliqué is another drawing of nigella from my garden; that one was still in bloom:

It’s a little bit of a pain to fit all the pieces together, but it’s a good exercise, and one way to make sure small pieces of fabric don’t go to waste.

Here is the pattern. It’s a dress or a quite voluminous shirt:

y’all it’s a sack